The KNOW Working Group on Israel/Palestine is hoping to have a resolution passed by the Kalamazoo City Commission, which calls for support for human rights by ending US military aid to Israel. We are of the belief that until we stop arming Israel to the teeth, or until the Israeli government senses that US aid may be jeopardized by their actions, they will have little incentive to seriously work for peace.
It would be great if you could just show up for moral support for the speakers, or speak yourself. We ask that you please be respectful of the City Commissioners and know that the audience in the chamber is not allowed to applaud or audibly respond to proceedings.
The vote will be Monday, May 6. The Commission meets at 7:00 pm on the second floor of City Hall.
Here is a summary of the resolution, which if passed would be forwarded on to our representatives in Congress. We feel it is particularly relevant given the brutal response of the Israeli military against unarmed protesters in Gaza, and the re-election of Netanyahu.
· To condemn human rights abuses by the Israeli military against Palestinians.
– To understand that it is not antisemitic to criticize the actions of the Israeli government
· To stop sending $3.8 Billion per year in military aid which enables the Israeli military’s human rights abuses. This amount is more than for all other countries combined, and the share paid in taxes per year by citizens in Kalamazoo comes to $514,133.
· This money could be better utilized by investing in human needs here at home.
· Peace is only possible in the region once the US stops funding the Israeli military, encourages a respect for international law and human rights for all, and supports the right of both Israelis and Palestinians to live in safety and security.